Monday 9 October 2017

On a Mission to Leamington Spa

Friday 6th October 2017
Radford Road to Leamington Spa
1.25 miles, 0 locks

What a difference a couple of days make.  The wind had dropped by this morning and I was down to one layer - a three quarter sleeve t-shirt rather than the 4 layers I had on the day before yesterday!  First thing, Monty and I walked back along the canal to Radford Bottom Lock taking a bag of rubbish to dispose of.  

We then set about moving on, leaving behind one of our favourite moorings - it is quiet, safe, the views are good and there are no overhanging trees, so why you might wonder did we move such a short distance to a much less scenic mooring?  Well apart from the delights of Leamington Spa being on hand I needed to be within walking distance of the railway station on Saturday.

It was such a short journey that Monty and I walked ahead of the boat keeping in touch by walkie talkie with the boat.  About two thirds of the way there I got a call to come back to the boat as a trip down the weed hatch was required!  Yesterday Chris had disentangled a bungy cord and a pair of men's underpants - what would today's haul contain?  Just as we pulled in this hotel boat and butty came past - thankfully very slowly.


Down Chris went and came up emptied handed!  Whatever it was must have come off as he reversed to moor up!

We dithered and dithered about where to moor - before or after bridge 40?  After won the day as we were aground before bridge, so here we are for the next couple of nights.

Why did we have big lockers built on the semi trad stern?  Just so Monty had a perch to keep look out when one of us jumps ship to go to a shop!  Well he thinks that is what they are for and if he wants to look out the other side, he just swivels round on his hind legs without dropping his front feet to the floor!  They are also a very useful grooming table.

What are the chances of me catching this shot if I had tired - zilch I should think.  Why his tongue is sticking out is a mystery known only to him.

After lunch, we walked to the station and I managed to change my tickets as I originally got them for Sunday when I needed Saturday.  Senior moments abound! Thankfully there was no problem and I now know where to go tomorrow.

I then left Chris and Monty on the boat whilst I walked into town - there is a lot to look at on the way.  Some things are nicer than others.  I am really not sure what this is all about - it looks like an abandoned pub, but the mosaics look new.




One day I am going to explore these gardens

and the Pump House




I managed to get a new boating top for me - £39.99 reduced to £7.99!  That will do me nicely.  I really wanted a new fleece, but failed on that front, so the credit card escaped lightly.

Back at the canal just before Bridge 40 there is a new university student block with an area beside it dedicated to Sir Terry Frost who was born in Leamington Spa.  He was an abstract artist.

and the four pieces of abstract art have words top and bottom as follows:

Terry's life bred in a creative furnace 
This Leamington lad made great art
Art sustained him whilst a prisoner of war
The camp gave him time to observe and to draw

He stepped free, on discovery's gangplank
Where tethered boats rock, besides St Ives quay
He sought natural colours to inspire him,
combed Cornish moors collecting yellows

He harnessed the power of the familiar,
enjoying every mark and gesture
Spontaneity gave his work authority
He thought creatively and painted intuitively

He sent circles spinning with spiral energy 
and explored blacks infinite diversity
Frost raised his glass to Lorca's imagery
Sharing his train to Banbury with the sun

On a more mundane note there is also a new water point by bridge 40 - or rather there is and there isn't!  This sign near bridge 41 indicates that it is the case

and this certainly looks like a water point

The padlock, however, is not a BWB one, so it is totally inaccessible!

So what is 'the mission' - all will be revealed in the next post!

4 comments:

nb Bonjour said...

We visited the gardens last year when they were planting out the spring bedding - the summer beds had obvously been spectacular but we gor our timing wrong. Worth going, I think. There is a glasshouse you can go into for free, dogs allowed in park and greenhouse if on a lead. Debby
http://nbchuffed.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/clean-roof-at-last.html

Jennie said...

It is definitely on my wish list Debby - good to know Monty is welcome on his lead. Thanks. Jennie

Adam said...

We tried to use the water point, but the tap doesn’t take the usual connector, so we couldn’t. I asked CRT what was going on, and they said it wasn’t theirs! Who it belongs to, I know not.

Jennie said...

It looks as though it will be one of life's great mysteries, Adam! Thank you for the tip about the Hatton paddles - they certainly do go down very gracefully all on their own and what a lot of winding that saves. Jennie